The Fergus Tennis Club was established in the early 1920’s and has been offering tennis opportunities to the local community for more than 90 years. When 3 new courts were built at the Community Centre in 1978 and renovation was completed to the 3 original courts in 1986, the Club saw a resurgence throughout the 1990’s with a growing membership and improved tennis programs.
The Club was incorporated in 1992 and established as a not-for-profit organization with the Ontario Tennis Association. Working with the Township, the Fergus Tennis Club executive replaced the 3 courts at the Community Centre with 2 fenced courts, which included lighting, in 2008. Plans are in currently place to resurrect the 3 old courts as discussions with the Centre Wellington Parks & Recreation Department have begun. The hope is to offers even more playing opportunities for all members of the community to the game of tennis at the Tower Street and CW Sportsplex tennis courts.
With the Tennis Canada “Building Tennis Communities” grant, the club will be working with the Township, local schools and other community organizations to develop a plan to improve tennis facilities, expand access to programming and activities for all ages and to promote the sport of tennis as a lifelong healthy family activity.
The Fergus Tennis Club is operated by volunteers. To organize programs, activities and events, Board of Directors is in place to fulfill these responsibilities. However, in order to make the club a success, volunteers are needed and welcome in all areas. If you are interested in helping out, please Contact Us or get in touch with one of the current Directors (2016/2017 Board). A copy of the Club By-Laws is included below for reference.